Friday, October 5, 2012

1,2,3




Finished the 'a' and 'c' to my fresh veggie alphabet illustrations I've been working on the past week or so... I am still trying to sort out my feelings about these little babies, as simple as they are, they are so unlike my other artwork I normally create. I haven't incorporated vegetables much in my art, but they are such a big part of my day at the farm, I felt compelled to paint them, just direct and pure as they are. Sometimes I think I create paintings based off art I want hanging in my house. They will look cute above the stove or so I am thinking. Or in someone's nursery perhaps? Get those kids started on the right foot, dreaming of greens. I'm still trying to figure the best route with getting prints made of my work, so soon they will be available in my shop. 

I love looking at  illustrations from seed company packaging from back in the day. Back when advertising, signs, everything were created by hand, by a real artist. There are still farms and seed saving companies that do this.  Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company is one of note.  They have one the largest selections of rare and heirloom seeds available, husband and wife travel the world preserving seeds that are now going extinct due to industrial agriculture. I recommend ordering one of their catalogs, even if you don't garden. I drool over the beauty of all the varieties...rainbow inca corn, red dragon carrots, moon & stars watermelon, blue potatoes... yum. Biodiversity at its best.

Baker Creek has also been a big part of helping small farms fight Monsanto and the rise of genetically modified veggies. If you haven't heard much about Proposition 37 yet, read up on it. If passed, it would simply require the proper labeling of any genetically engineered foods (plants and/or animals that have had their DNA artificially altered by genes from other plants, animals, viruses, bacteria, etc...in ways that would never occur in nature) Shouldn't we already have the right to know whats in our food? Care or not about GMO's, it should be something we have a right to choose or not. There haven't been enough long term studies on their ill effects on our health, but they are definitely cause to many other environmental problems. I hate preaching to the choir, I always tell people to do their own research & share what you learn. Sometimes makes me worried about the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment